2010年7月28日星期三

What's the best oil and filter for my new 07 Civic?

We have 600 miles on our 07 Civic and I've been debating on which oil/filter to put in it when the time comes for the first change. I've decided to do it myself because I don't like my vehicles in someone else's hands, especially new ones, and because Honda wanted 60 bucks for a synthetic oil change. I have decided on Mobile 1 5w-20 full synthetic and a Mobile 1 filter. OEM Honda filter is still a thought. If you think this is a good choice, bad choice, or if you have any comments, please let me know. I will be changing it about every 5,000 miles unless oil life % is low before then, but not likely it will be. Car is driven like it's gold and rarely brought up to 3k rpm.What's the best oil and filter for my new 07 Civic?
No need to run synthetic, especially if you are going to baby it. I had an 86 volvo 740 turbo. Turbos are very hard on oil and the engine. I ran nothing but regular Castrol oil and a good wix or purolater filter in it and sold it in 2005 with 210000 miles on it and a minor piston slap. That equates to 6935 days of continuous use and sometimes hard use and the motor never failed. Modern engines are well built and the rest of the car will wear out before the engine if you just do regular maintenance. I would save my money and just change the oil at 4kmiles unless you plan on keeping it for 30 years.What's the best oil and filter for my new 07 Civic?
Mobile 1 5W20 synthetic is fine, a Fram or Purolator oil filter will work good also.
It's just a Honda. Don't waste your money on synthetic or Mobil one filters. It's just not worth it.
The Mobil 1 is actually an excellent choice, if you are willing to spend that kind of money at each change. Personally, I have tried many kinds of oil and in all the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven in the several vehicles I've owned (all traded in running perfectly) I've found that Castrol SynBlend or even just the GTX and WIX filters provide excellent lube for those on a budget.
Your plan is just fine. I was a mechanic for a Honda dealer for 15 years. Keep your $$ in your own hands!
You could probably use the cheaper filter when you are changing your filter that often. There is very little difference in the various filters, even the cheaper ones of the same brand. Frequency of your replacements is the key to making the engine last for many trouble free years. Also, if you are using a synthetic oil, the working life of a synth is much longer than a natural oil, as it is designed to not break down from the heat the way that natural oils do.





You could probably run it quite a bit longer, and since you are paying considerably more, you really should.
I have an O7. There was no mention that synthetics were mandatory(or needed).


Make sure the oil is stamped for severe conditions because ';babying the motor'; is severe. Short trips are also severe(as the engine really has not gotten warm yet to drive out the moisture that accumulates. Look at taxi's. Many of those cars are Xpolice cars. The motors in them are in great shape because the motor is hardly ever shut off....so no moisture build up(crud in the oil) and oil changes w/filter are performed like clockwork. Those cars get up to over 200,000 miles on the clock.


Buy a name brand oil and filter. Your Civic has an oil life monitor built in, but it is gear toward mileage with regular oil, not whether you have synthetic or not.


If you only drive the car to work and home again and it is close it is gonna take some time to build up the mileage. In that case, period of time should be the deciding factor.


%26gt;%26gt; I changed my moms car oil on her Chev. using the odometer as the measuring tool -every 3000 miles. It was 11 months before she reached that distance, and she went to work everyday. M-F.%26lt;%26lt;
I would check the owners handbook and make sure your using the correct grade of oil. From memory a honda normally uses a 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil and use the genuine honda filter. Wrong oil, especially too lighter oil can lead to excess wear and engine problems


Also make sure that you wont void you warranty by doing it yourself. If its OK to service it yourself make sure you keep all the reciepts of the oil and filters incase something does go wrong with the engine, nothing worse than going back to the dealer with an engine problem and them saying you have no warranty cause you didnt meet the servicing requirements!


In NZ honda require services to be done every 10,000km (6000miles), once again check this with your dealer.
  • blemishes
  • 没有评论:

    发表评论